Which Will You Feed?
Have you ever heard of the Cherokee legend “The Two Wolves Within”? I recently heard this story from one of my favorite bloggers. The legend touched me and I am hoping it will inspire you as well.
One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.
He said, “My son, the battle is between two “wolves” inside us all.
One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.
The other is good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”
The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”
The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”
What does this legend teach us? That every one of us has an internal battle going on inside of us. We all have to choose on a daily basis between listening to the “evil wolf” or the “good wolf”. These “wolves” can also be translated into our negative and positive thinking. Sometimes the negative is so loud that it is hard to block it out and we give in to it. We are then “feeding it and allowing it to win”. Although it may be harder to nourish the positive sometimes, with daily practice the “good wolf” will eventually become stronger than the “evil wolf”.
5 questions to ask yourself for self-reflection:
1. Which “wolf” do you think you feed more?
2. What triggers both of the negative wolf and the positive wolf within you?
3. In what ways do you feed your inner negative wolf and how do you feel after the wolf wins?
4. In what ways do you feed your inner positive wolf and how does it feel when this wolf wins?
5. Now that you have brought awareness to your inner “wolves”, which will you choose to feed and how?